Tales of a Weathered Wardrobe Refinish

This particular blog post was started in June, when I found an old damaged wardrobe at a thrift store. It took me awhile to finish the project because this is just a hobby for me! I refinished it using a Miniwax weathered stain applied with a rag and wood conditioner after light sanding. It was sealed using a wood wax. Check out the whole story after the jump!


Wardrobe Before



The Story

On Friday I went to my favorite thrift and found this, an old wardrobe missing the top piece of wood (it was stashed away inside) and looking a little worse for wear. They wanted $80. I talked them down to $50. The guys working at the thrift store didn’t take a lot of convincing. This is a chief thrill of my life.

Wardrobe Before

The Wardrobe sitting in my carport with other unfinished projects
The Contemplation
“Why don’t you look happier about this wardrobe?” I demanded to Daniel as he took a break from work to load it into his truck. “Aren’t you excited?”

Only when I got home did I almost cry. The wardrobe was pretty seriously out of whack. Sure, it looked in the store like it would all just fall into place with a wave of a wand.

The deciding factor for me to embark on any project is that I can do it “pretty easy.” The only problem is my estimation of “pretty easy” is usually the opposite of an educated guess.

“What have I done?” (Head in hands, muttering, somewhere between elation and despair.)

Daniel later admitted he had reserved his approval because he wasn’t sure I could fix it. And that I have a lot of projects already going.  He gets the benefit of the doubt because he helped me pick it up and lay it down four times.
The History Appreciation
And then I looked it up and found a doppleganger on Ebay.
The wardrobe I found at St V de P is in fact a 1930’s wardrobe in the “linenfold” design. They are typically angled in front, have round feet and a curved brass railing with hooks attached and a mirror inside. They are not always identical to this ringer I found online, and they are not particularly valuable, but they are all COOL.
I am a happy girl.
Especially because it is replacing this:
The Reject
Buh-bye IKEA crap!
The Commitment 
So. I pried it apart. I hammered and wrenched and hoisted and begged. I eventually got the offending piece  of broken wood and nails out of the way so the thing could settle in. I used screws and brackets on the inside to reinforce the nails I’d had to lose. I decided the reason the door scraped is because it has always scraped, as evidenced by missing finish on the doorframe, and am going to sand it down.
In a word.
I fixed it.
The Process

– Sand with a power sander, trying not to leave circular marks or take off too much of the original stain or the wood!

– Use a piece of hand held sandpaper to finish the corners

– Stain using two rags. I used a technique where I dipped one rag in stain and then used another rag coated with wood conditioner to rub it in, keeping the applications light and circular.


– Seal with a wood wax if it won’t be in high traffic use. If you are using this technique on a piece of furniture that has a visible, high use surface I would do a poly finish. The finishing wax is really easy to use.

2013-11-07 14.30.09

The Finished Product!


2 thoughts on “Tales of a Weathered Wardrobe Refinish

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s